blog archives
Other Links eTantoco Indie Gumby Bryans Cool Jigga Wut Page Endre's Page
contact... Tell me how much my blog sucks.
The Daily Deuce, but not reallySo I just read that girl Hannah's (the one that is friends with Tinting and Nicole) "25 Random Things", check it:1. My dad is my hero. He’s overflowing with the wisdom. He seems really quiet and broodingly sits around, but he’s really funny and enthusiastic about almost anything. His war stories are pretty hilarious. Damn those North Koreans! He also spends more time chatting online than I do.14. My dad is most definitely my hero. He and I are different people but our conversations are always engaging. My parents and sister and I went out for pho over break and eventually we started talking about religion and my dad got so excited he started talking really loud and my mom had to calm him down and remind him that we're in public. They are a funny duo. His response was, "Sorry I just find this really interesting and I like learning new things." He seems kinda slow-witted sometimes but he's always passionate about everything and I admire that.The thing that kept striking me wasn't just the similar topics but similar wording. Not that she's literally plagarizing a blog about herself, it's just the similarities are almost eerie. "enthusiastic about almost anything", "always passionate about everything"2. I love meat. Tripe, rib eye, fish, chicken, animal fat… all yummy in my tummy. Actually, I love all foods; everything is my favorite.19. All foods are my favorite foods. Except seafood, but I do like some sushi.This one isn't that similar because I didn't mention meat.3. My sister and I get along really well.24. My sister and I get along really well. Sisters rule. But I digress; it would be interesting if this was the only coincidental similarity, but there is way more.6. I’m a trend whore. I have the large sunglasses, large belts, boots, oversized jewelry, thick-rimmed glasses, skinny jeans, tights, and I wear oversized t-shirts as dresses.19. I like really big rings and really big sunglasses, though I’ve been wearing Ray-Ban wayfarers for a while because I’m a trend whore.10. I love being short because I can wear shirts as dresses[...]It's not surprising that Hannah and my sister have similar styles of dress because tons of girls dress like that. Again, it's the specific phrasing and wording that just trips me out.a9. I’m really self-conscious about my artwork. I don’t think I’ve ever shown anyone a completed piece before. I don’t feel legitimate categorizing myself as an artist when I’ve met all these amazing artists [peers included].12. Speaking of, I hate calling myself an artist. I get really self-conscious about my work. There are a lot of unbelievable artists out there, some of them famous and some of them my friends. It’s hard to swim in that pool.Same reasons as before, the similarties are tripping me out.10. I’m very shallow. The end. No excuses or explanations.11. I can get really shallow. In my defense, as an artist, I put a lot of importance on aesthetics. What’s your excuse?Haha, these should switch orders, so that it sounds like a question and answer, although it'd be more appropriate if it just said, "My excuse is that I'm an artist."11. I’m always worrying about my future. That is probably due to the impending graduation within a year, and that being an art major doesn’t exactly promise a lucrative future.4. I’m a student at Knox College. I know you’ve never heard of the fucking place. That doesn’t mean it’s a shit school, we probably work harder and play harder than your kids.2. Since graduating, I freak out about my future periodically. The constant talk concerning the tanking economy doesn’t exactly help. My two pointless degrees also don’t help. Being a graduate of UCSB also doesn't really seem to help because people STILL respond to that with "oh, the party school?" SHUT THE FUCK UP. we partied harder than your kids ever did and yet still probably got better grades. they probably couldn't even get in.I don't find this one that coincidental because there was a similar one on Lauren Christensen's twenty-five, so it doesn't sound particularly unique. The 'work hard / play hard' concept isn't original but I also haven't seen it been mentioned. Did I mention that I've probably read over forty of these notes and I've never seen anything close to a coincidence as this?12. I have a new found interest in my religion. That might be another way of saying that I’m learning to be really appreciative.9. Religion is my current favorite topic. There's something fascinating about the human experience that makes our lives so much more than eating/sleeping/procreating. Theologians have been thinking about these questions for thousands of years, and have come up with some sophisticated answers. I can't go into detail unless you want to go toe to toe for three hours.People have religious experiences all the time, so this is plausible. I haven't read any other notes mentioning it, though, so it still seems trippy.17. I have terrible work ethic, work flow, you name it. I especially tend to zone out or day dream when I have an epic list of work to accomplish.15. I’ve realized I kind of have a bad work ethic. I’m very task-oriented; if I don’t have a list of specific things I need to do, I just end up zoning out.We all do. Although Rochelle can work in tasks, Hannah zones out at the impending work list.23. I spend more time on Facebook than I’d like to admit. 9. I lurk on facebook way, way more than I’d like to admit.Word choice! I'm telling you, reading this made me trip balls, it's so similar to my and my sister's lists.Yeah it's a meme, a trivial internet fad that blew up because it didn't limit the user to specific questions. Different analyses in internet and physical publications have noted that the facts aren't actually random; since we get to choose them then we can choose ones that make us look good or help us reinforce a certain persona we want of ourselves. Also it blew up because it tapped into everyone's favorite topic of conversation: ourselves. What up narcissism.Anyhoo, I've read a ton of these things. I love reading them because everyone writes the whackiest stuff sometimes. But although I DID read a satire of the "twenty-five" that mocked things people commonly wrote about (something related to drug/alcohol use, something about close encounters with cops, stuff of that sort), I found that it wasn't a very good satire because most that I've read didn't fit any particular model. Had Hannah merely just written about these specific topics, I probably would've been particularly smitten. But the phrasing is just so similar that it's simply trippy. I would still love to go toe to toe with her for three hours though. Kevin killed the kitten at 1:53 PM
home