blog archives
Other Links eTantoco Indie Gumby Bryans Cool Jigga Wut Page Endre's Page
contact... Tell me how much my blog sucks.
Catching snippets of conversation as people walk by is amusing when one pays attention.The first occurrence was at the Warriors game. When Dooner was in line at the concession stand, some girl walked by, wasn't saying anything to her friend, except stopped for a second and said, "labia". Then she continued walking.Today two girls walked by me and I overheard one saying, "...and I woke up so early this morning! I couldn't even check my horoscope or open up my new Cosmo."Aite.On an unrelated note, this Deborah Tannen woman who authored that article I found on StumbleUpon is pretty interesting. Knowledge can be scary, and knowing too much about interpersonal communication might cause me to overanalyze normal conversation. But it also could be very useful.I found it interesting that Tannen says men tend to treat conversation as a contest, whereas women use conversation for support and intimacy. I completely agree with what she said, at least about men in conversation. Whenever anyone would say something along the lines of, "Damn, that must suck for you," even kindly, my instinctive triggers go off and my thoughts react defensively, even if I don't say anything publicly. In my head, something says, "Do NOT tell me that you are any better than me. Do NOT push your supposed air of superiority on me because you are merely judging me to strengthen your position."Although it's not really put into actual sentences like that and isn't really thought out at all.Flip it the other way; women could have the same exact sentence said to them and see it as an act of sympathy, of someone reacting out.Being self-aware is powerful, however; I never realized that I did this, but now I can think and react more appropriately and rationally. Another one of those "good guess" type deals. Maybe people AREN'T trying to undermine me with indirect comments of superiority, I just react that way. I can't read minds anyway, so I'm not going to make assumptions. Kevin killed the kitten at 5:26 PM
home