blog archives
Other Links eTantoco Indie Gumby Bryans Cool Jigga Wut Page Endre's Page
contact... Tell me how much my blog sucks.
I still don't like cal. So take THAT, cal! I don't think I hate it, but I don't like it. Cal called my house today after school and my sister picked it up and they said that I did not come to my third period class (geometry), which was weird because I'm pretty sure I was there. I have witnesses known as the teacher, Mark Elbogen, Martin Kopp, and Derek Clegg. And some other people, and that senior that sits next to me and talks a lot and asks me a lot of questions. I also finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, that book is so good, in ways you can relate to it, and in other ways it's very "extreme". But I guess that's how people's lives are when they live very, uhm, eventful lives. It was extreme in a good way that made you think, like American History X. They both relate but they are both very different. Which reminds me in a way that I recently realized that all genres of music can kind of relate to each other. For example, we'll start with Thrice, which doesn't really have a genre, probably categorized as emo/pop-punk but also very different. The emo vocals are there with that "hardcore" sound, and the two guitarists harmonize really well and are really fast and clean, similar to speed metal like At The Gates or even Dimmu Borgir, scandinavian death metal boo-yah. And I can see how emo evolved from hardcore even though they sound nothing alike, which is because hardcore wasn't really about making original music, though the more popular ones put nice twists to their music but having energic, loud music that reaches the listeners and is fun to listen to at shows. But after the hardcore "scene" kind of died in the 80s, they had like a "punk revival" and the post-hardcore sound still had its roots in hardcore, but now the music has become more melodic. And if you listen to old Fugazi, then new Fugazi, then new Thrice, and you are like wow things have changed but there's still screaming vocals and fast beats, but now everything is more clean and put together and well written. And then there's the Beastie Boys, that when they were younger they were a hardcore band in the NY underground, but I don't know what happened but they became MCs and started to write hip-hop songs or something. Then they signed onto Def Jam to record their first album, then left them because they suck. But even though the Beastie Boys are mostly rap because they have rhymes and use that "breakbeat" rhythm that makes rap lyrics in the tone that they are, if you listen to any of their older stuff you can see that they are a very, very diversified group. Almost the entire Check your Head CD is a jazzy/funk CD and only like half of the songs have lyrics. Which isn't a bad thing, at first I didn't like the CD and wanted to listen to something else, but after a few listens I really got into it. And it's cool because they have a hardcore song thrown in there that is actually really good, I read the booklet and it said how they were playing around with their instruments writing some music and they wrote a hardcore song and didn't have lyrics, so Mike D. just picked up some random booklet with lyrics from a random CD and jumped around the recording studio using those lyrics for the song since they didn't have any, and recorded it. And it turned out good. And if you listen to A Tribe Called Quest's songs from the CD "The Low End Theory" it's very very jazzy but it has amazing rhymes and it's so catchy, which mixes jazz with rap, and rap with hardcore, and hardcore with emo, and emo with pop punk, and everything with everything. My musical journey is off the heezy FOH SHIZZLE as the ESPN announcers like to say, listening to new CDs and crazy new crap is crazypop. Kevin killed the kitten at 9:23 PM
home